Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Yes to my Accomplishments by Latoya Ward


Throughout my life I have often thought to myself that whatever I did was not enough. Where did this thinking come from? When did it actually start? In church we are taught to be grateful and appreciative for what we have and to thank God for it.  I remember feeling grateful and thankful at times but wanted better or more.  Was I wrong for thinking this way?

Maybe this came after the birth of my beautiful daughter who was born on my birthday October 26th.  I never wanted to be a single mother but found myself as one. I was a hard working single mother. I had become a certified nurses assistant and I work, worked and worked. I didn’t want to be a statistic and I wanted to make something of my life and provide for my daughter. When my daughter went to school her teachers would say she is the best-dressed kid in the school. I had my own apartment my own car and yet her father would make me feel like I didn’t have enough. He even would say I wasn’t a good mother because I needed help here and there. Just to note verbal abuse is just as bad a physical. Fast forwarded through life all types of things happen; lost of friends, failed relationships, cut off of family, debt, job losses and relocation to a new city.

We all have a past rather good, bad or both. Things I have been through in my past have made me who I am today. God sends us people and allows us to go through situations. My life could have been a lot different and why I was worrying about what I did not have or who I did not have; I wasn’t being grateful appreciative or thankful for what I did have. So I am saying YES to my accomplishments because I am proud of them.  I accomplished being a single mother but I wasn’t I had good friends and some family who helped me. I accomplished being a good dancer; maybe not a professional one but I can win a dance battle or two. I accomplished being a good cook. All I can say is practice make perfect and trial and error. I accomplished being a good friend. I accomplished being creative with my wardrobe. I accomplished being a great lover; I’m a Scorpio need I say more. Lol! I accomplished landing a good job with a decent wage even though I haven’t finished my degree yet. I accomplished being a volunteer. I accomplished being a good sister who shows tough love. I accomplish zip lining and tubing in a river in Jamaica. I don’t even swim...lol guess that is something I need to accomplish.

I can go on a on about the things that I have accomplished rather they were big or small. I hope you take away from this short except from my life that no matter what you have done or will do it is an accomplishment. There is someone somewhere wishing or hoping they have what you have or have been where you have been. What I have learned and continue to learn is I take nothing for granted and I am thankful for all the people, those that are still in my life and those that choose to leave and even those that I have kicked out. They all have helped me to accomplish something. I am grateful and thankful for all the opportunities, the mistakes, the heartbreaks, the disappointment, the good times, the blessings, just life period. I have accomplished living through it all. I look forward to whatever it is that I will accomplish next. 

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your all your accomplishments! Woman are so strong! I laughed when you said you can't swim because I can't either and I've been parasailing, zip-ling, and even lived on an island. It just shows that you don't have to know everything but with God, He has it all under contro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this ladies, one step at a time at our own personal comfort level we can achieve and experience all that is for US!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post Ms. Scorpio! I love the way that you acknowledged your accomplishments. I can relate to not wanting to bear the "single mom" title. I am learning that there is so much hidden beauty and strength in living the hand that we are dealt unapologeticly

    ReplyDelete