Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Yes to Me by Vanessa Davis

My Yes Experience!

All of my life I have felt something pushing me, pulling me, coaxing me to do things on my own.  I've had all kinds of ideas for businesses. I half pursued a few in my life. I took my first job at 13 years of age. I changed my birth certificate to state that I was 15 and started to explore the joys of actually making money! I was hooked! Every time I took a job from then on I was a supervisor, a key holder, a lead, a manager. I thought "This works for me", so I continued to pursue these types of positions, but in the back of my mind I still wanted to own my on business. In college I started a photography business, while attending school and still working for a major retailer. I was very proud of my accomplishment and I did well.

Inevitably, life happened (as it does with us all); I had a baby, got married, and had another baby, got divorced. At that point, life was about survival. I sometimes received child support and sometimes did not, but always had to take care of my babies.  Therefore, I was forced to give up any dreams of entrepreneurship and work for someone else full time (all of the time), and go back to school.  At one point I was working between 50 and 60 hours a week and going to school full-time. It has all been worth it but.......I was never really saying YES TO ME!  I know graduating from college is a major accomplishment, but I was really just going to ensure I could always have better jobs working for other people.  So really, I did not feel like that was saying YES TO ME! Now, don't get me wrong I have never had the desire to work for anyone else. I do not think entrepreneurship is for everyone. I know that there are people who take great pride in working a 9 to 5 and I applaud their efforts. As for me, even in college I would take entrepreneurship classes, if that tells you anything.

My children have grown to be wonderful, intelligent young people. I am so proud of them and proud of the fact that I took the time out to raise them and put them on the right path. I do feel like I said YES TO ME for that. I never have to look back and say I should have pay more attention or I could have done better with them.  I really feel like I have make wonderful decisions with them.  My son will soon be 15 recently went to live with his father. The jury is still out on this one, but I feel like it was the best decision for him.  I am not a man and there is no man in my house to teach him how to be a man, so I felt it was best.  His father has been asking for him for years.  I felt it would be selfish of me to say no any longer.  He is no longer a baby.  He is growing into a Man. My daughter is almost 18, graduating in May and going to college. Again not YES TO ME! Yes to them, but I am glad to have said yes to them.

Soon it will just be me! If I don't say YES TO ME now, something is seriously wrong! 
Well, I have thought about this for a while.  So, I have been preparing to say YES TO ME for a couple of years now.  A little over 2 years ago I bought a brand new car, and my second home and then I QUIT MY JOB!  It was a hard decision to make.  At times, I felt like I had lost my mind! Who does that!  However, it has been totally worth it! I finally started my own business(es), something I felt the need to do all of my life. 
The hardest thing I've ever done! The hardest job I've ever had! 

One of the greatest joys I've ever felt and the most peace I've ever enjoyed!  I LOVE IT!
I don't know why it took so long to do what God has been pushing me to do all along.  I do know that he has perfect timing.  Perhaps, I was suppose to be learning from all of those experiences and they prepared me to say YES TO ME finally!
I would suggest to everyone to follow the GOD given passions in their lives! I have more to explore! I am excited to see what happens next!

3 comments:

  1. Punkin! I am so proud of YOU!!!! I remember vividly visiting your home in Atlanta as a newly married mom and thinking WOW, this lady has it going on! What I inspired me the most is your zeal and tenacity towards life. Despite being the primary parent and running a household alone you had the biggest smile. In addition, you were dedicated to your children having the best life possible. I thank God for placing women like you in my life, to "show" all is possible with him. Seeing you relocate and pursue your entrepreneurship goals a few years ago was equally inspiring. You have a STRONG work ethic and are DETERMINED to help others and reach your goals. The sky is the limit. I am so very proud of YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Kathi Thank you soooooo much! That really touched me. Funny...I feel the very same way about you๐Ÿ˜Š Thanks you for the encouragement... You have no idea what that means to me! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜™

      Delete
    2. Wow! Kathi Thank you soooooo much! That really touched me. Funny...I feel the very same way about you๐Ÿ˜Š Thanks you for the encouragement... You have no idea what that means to me! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜™

      Delete