Monday, February 22, 2016

Yes to Debt Free by Bridgette Stephens



Have you ever been asked the question, “Are you debt free?” Most people would answer this question, by saying, I really do not have much debt and go on to say, just my car payment, and I pay off my credit card every month or every other month, and so on. Of course, neglecting the gigantic debt of student loans, hoping they will somehow just disappear. Well, that used to be my answer as well, before a complete transformation in my perspective on money.  Perhaps you may be able to relate, the feelings of been overwhelmed with having to work to make payments, not able to chase some dreams that lie deep in your heart, not able to take the vacations you desire, not able to give more when you would like to,  and so forth. Finally, I decide I will no longer be bound up with finances and say, “YES” to embarking on a debt free journey.
I decided to gain knowledge of God’s perspective on being a great steward over the things HE has entrusted me with, and it has transformed my view of money as seeing it as fuel units.  A few key scriptures that have been very insightful for my debt free journey are listed below.

·         Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor. (Romans 13:7 NIV)

This scripture teaches us to pay everyone what you owe….

·         Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law. (Romans 13:8 NIV)

This scripture clearly instructs us to leave no debt outstanding, pay if off as quickly as possible.

·         The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender. (Proverbs 22:7 NIV)

Debt is not a sin, yet to be a “slave” is not a good thing-Jesus came to set us free…..do not be wrap up in financial bondage, distracts you from fulfilling God’s assignments….

·         The wicked borrow and do not repay, but the righteous give generously; (Psalm 37:21 NIV)

God wants us to be extravagant givers. As believers, debt should be avoided as much as possible. God does not ask anyone to borrow to complete HIS work, or any assignment HE gives to you. Debt makes it more difficult for Christians to serve God, especially when you mind is bogged down with what you may be called to do, and the reality of your current situation.

Awesome news, God is able to do immeasurable more than you can ask and imagine! I am so amazed at how I took the steps to become debt free, doing my best in the natural by getting up early, living on a written budget, making smart money moves, seeking ways to increase cash flow, selling items, and tackling one debt at a time with full force. Do your best in the natural, God will handle the rest in the supernatural!

I decided to divide my debts into two sections: consumer debts and student loan debts. This allowed me to celebrate once a list was complete. I am super please to share that I started on 05/07/2014, and six months later on 11/06/2014, paid off all consumer debt, total of $27,817.21. I started student loan debts on 01/01/2015, now have paid off six out of seven loans ($48, 418.24), and will be complete by end of March 2016, total of $63,489.17. Grand total of both lists….$91,306.38!! Screaming to the top of my lungs, I am DEBT FREE!!! Cash is king!! To GOD be the glory!! Investing for the future, so that I may leave a legacy!!

Lastly, getting out of debt will not happen quickly, be patient. Pray for strength, perseverance, and fresh ideas as everything begins with a thought. Work hard while you are young, so that your latter days will be your best days!












9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome testimony Bridgette! I know personally of your diligence and perseverance towards accomplishing this goal. You inspire me to press on to reach this goal. You are a walking testimony that with God ALL things are possible.πŸ™Œ It takes work on our part but it CAN be done. Thanks for being an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome testimony Bridgette! I know personally of your diligence and perseverance towards accomplishing this goal. You inspire me to press on to reach this goal. You are a walking testimony that with God ALL things are possible.πŸ™Œ It takes work on our part but it CAN be done. Thanks for being an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thank you Samanda! Yes, I can even recall us fasting and praying years ago about being free from debt before even embarking on the journey. Look at God, answers each prayer...manifestation! Continue to keep your eyes fixed on God, knowing that with HIM all things are possible!

      Delete
  4. Great testimony! I want to be free of student loan debt before my children (ages 5 & 8) enter college. With the help of God, it can and shall be done! D.L.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, it shall be done...set your mind to it, and trust God!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing your testimony Bridgette S Stephens. I remember when you first set out on this journey, I am extremely proud of you. It has been my experience that some cultures find it taboo to speak about money and definitely not in particulars for that matter. I applaud your courage, discipline and transparency to help yourself and fellow brethren. Lastly, "Debt makes it more difficult for Christians to serve God" is a powerful statement! My current prayer is God bless me more, so that I can give more. Peace and Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, yes! Pray that it will encourage so many others to desire to become debt free. I truly appreciate you for inviting me to participate in the "29 days of YES" blog! You certainly created an atmosphere to allow our testimonies to empower other ladies! I certainly treasure your friendship, and thank you so much for such kind words! Continue to put God first in all things! Blessings to you and yours!

      Delete