Thursday, February 25, 2016

Yes to Motherhood by DeAndrea Beaven


Yes to Motherhood
From the “I’m too Busy Girl”
I am going to spare you a long paragraph of soul searching….it’s self-serving and boring! I am going to get to the “Nitti Gritty” of it all because that is what everyone truly wants and people really appreciate the transparency.
I’m a new Mother, when I say new I mean BRAND new! Her name is Weslie, she is 2 months old, I am covered in spit up and my hair is barely combed….yep she’s that new. I love her because ideally she makes me a better person. I adore her because she is teaching me patience. She also forced me to slow down and take more time to smell the roses (Yes it’s cliché but you get it.

Previous to me being a Mother, I was always “Too Busy.” I was too busy for my family, at times too busy for worship and a lot of times too busy to be a present wife. To be honest things began to suffer, I began to suffer there never seemed to be enough hours in the day and I was tired, literally lay in the bed and slip into a coma tired. Then things changed, I became In the Family Way (my Grandmother’s way of saying that I was expecting) and nothing slows you down like a little morning sickness and back pain. Don’t get me wrong I could still do stuff just not as quickly and not nearly as efficiently. So instead of volunteering as much as I wanted, working as long as I needed, visiting the people I needed to visit I was forced to sit. I had a great pregnancy and I wasn’t on bed rest, but as any Mother/Expecting Mother will tell you, I had to literally chill out, and it made me impatient and it made me angry, it tested my patience and instead of enjoying my pregnancy the way I should’ve I just wanted to feel like myself again and be able to move around without getting so sleepy. I know…..ungrateful right?
Finally my daughter came and nothing really slows you down like a somewhat fussy baby and a C Section. On top of that, having to carry 1 million things with you if you wanted to leave the house. However, the experience has made me much more patient. My daughter is not a morning person and she requires at least one hour of cuddle time with Mommy. This means I can’t rush to the gym, I can’t wake up grab a tea and go. I can’t sleep until the last minute, get dressed and run out of the door. I wake up, grab Wes V and we get in the recliner for a good hour before the day begins and I am beyond grateful for this, and I have never felt so fulfilled in my entire life. I realize that I was so busy making a living I was not making a life, so I have officially decided to not just embrace it, but be grateful for it. There are still a Million Things I need to do, but until cuddle time is over, none of it really matters.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this. I am a soon to be mother (August) and this spoke volumes to me...especially about teaching paience. Thasks again for being transparent and sharing. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on God's greatest blessing!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for reading and congratulations!

      Delete
  2. DeAndrea Beaven My heart smiles at your journey! I have secretly been waiting for you to become a mom, because I knew you would just LOVE IT! I can so relate to pretty much everything you shared. I too didn't fully embrace the changes of my pregnancy. I don't think it was ungratefulness, more so just the extreme desire to resist change! I love the road that you are on to slowing down and smelling the roses. Christina has forever changed my life, she is my greatest sense of purpose and motivates me daily to be a better mom, sister, friend, woman and Christian. I am soooo happy for you and Stephen Eric Beaven Jr and wish you all continued blessings!!!!

    ReplyDelete